Discounted tickets are available now!
New York Professional Events List
The Institutional and Alternative Lending NYC Conference 2018
Link to Website
The Institutional and Alternative Lending Conference returns to New York in 2018, bringing together the most senior industry players in direct lending to the US mid-market.
Direct lending continues to be big business for North America’s leading alternative asset managers and private equity firms. According to Preqin, the asset class soared in size from USD 33Bn in 2008 to USD 100Bn in 2016. 200 new funds have launched since 2009 and last year 58 percent of institutional investors said they would increase allocations to US mid-market lending funds in the next one or two years.
But can the market sustain this growth? Competition is heating up; pricing and liquidity is compressing; leverage and dry power is rising; and covenants are receding. In a world of rising interest rates, equity market uncertainty, and the ever-pervasive ‘Trump factor’, will direct lending funds remain on top of the private debt universe? Will the growth in nonsponsored transactions lead to a decline in credit quality as we reach the end of the credit cycle? Are LPs’ priorities going to change in this new environment?
As the only conference dedicated exclusively to the US direct lending asset-class, this definitive gathering brings together LPs and GPs in equal measure, giving you unparalleled networking opportunities and access to first class content and thought-leadership.
2018 key speakers:
Steve Myers, Head of Private Debt & Equity, RGA Reinsurance Company
James Burron President, Canadian Association of Alternative Strategies & Assets
Huy Cao, Director, Corporate Credit, CDPQ
Sam Nasypbek, Senior Portfolio Manager, The World Bank
Uzi Rosha, Managing Director, Head of US Regulation and Compliance, AIMA
Brett Hickey, Chief Executive Officer, Star Mountain Capital
Lila Ontiveros, Senior Vice President, Investment Strategies, CAZ Investments
Mark Perry, Managing Director, Wilshire Private Markets
Carol Pepper, Chief Executive Officer, Pepper International
Canadian Association of Alternative Strategies and Assets
Director, Corporate Credit
Caisse De Dépôt et Placement du Québec
Head of Private Debt & Equity
Senior Portfolio Manager
The World Bank
Senior Vice President
Wilshire Private Markets
Managing Director, Head of US Regulation and Compliance
Alternative Investment Management Association
Conference day: Thursday, September 06 , 2018
07:45 - 08:50
Registration and coffee
08:50 - 08:55
08:55 - 09:15
Opening keynote address09:15 - 09:35
THE BIG INTERVIEW
09:35 - 10:20
Private credit health check: Putting the market through its paces
- Coping with change: the impact of normalisation/shifting credit cycle/Trump
- A direct lending bubble: time for a correction?
- Covenants, pricing and credit curves: how low can you go?
- Finding value in a competitive market: Non-sponsored/European market/where next?
- Irrational exuberance: What could spoil the party?
10:20 - 10:45
10:45 - 11:30
Sponsor workshop A
Sponsor workshop B
Sponsor workshop A
Content to be confirmed
11:30 - 12:15
LP Strategy: Winning deals in a capricious market
- How to choose a GP
- Institutional allocations in 2018: up, down or about the same?
- Analysing alternatives: equities, high-yield bonds etc.
- Spectre of default: work-outs in a world of light covenants
- Weight of new money: impact on markets and strategy
12:15 - 13:00
Investor focus: Making the most out of Europe, and beyond
- The evolution of a market: Is European DL moving to maturity?
- Where to invest in Europe and why: sectors and countries, risks vs returns
- They do things differently there: credit quality, documentation and leverage
- European returns vs the rest? (mezzanine/distressed debt/real estate)
- New markets: Europe today, emerging markets tomorrow?
13:00 - 14:00
14:00 - 14:40
Target table discussions
Target table A:
Target table B: James Burron, President, Canadian Association of Alternative Strategies & Assets
Target table C:
Target table D:
THE BIG DEBATE: an Oxford style debate on the future of direct lending
Motion: “This house believes that the US direct lending market is no longer competitive”
15:10 - 15:30
Keynote fintech interview: Is the private credit sector ripe for disruption?
15:30 - 15:50
Coffee15:50 - 16:30
- Public vs private BDCs
- Capturing the attention of LPs: testing appetites
- Sponsor vs non-sponsored loan strategies
- Distressed situations: balancing transparency and conflicts of interest
- Fee structures: time to re-evaluate?
- Fair value and secondary liquidity: trading price vs NAV
16:30 - 17:00
We need to talk about: US economic policy and the future of America’s middle market
- Trade wars
- Tax laws
- Infrastructure finance
- Trump’s progress: making America great again?
17:00 - 17:05
Close of conference
VIP Life Time Subscription to our Newsletters!